Every year on the 24th September, our school community celebrates the life and work of SrCatherine McAuley (1778-1841).
Catherine realised at a young age that she wanted to devote her life to the service of the poor, the sick and the uneducated. In 1831 she established the Sisters of Mercy.
Through time, the Mercy Order arrived in Trim and built a convent in the town. By 1868 they had established a school that would provide education and care to the people of Trim for the next 150 years. Everyone here at St Mary’s Convent Primary School is very proud of our Mercy roots.
In 2018 our all-weather pitch was officially blessed and opened. The pitch has been aptly named, Páirc na Trócaire(Mercy Park), in recognition of a century and a half of dedicated service by the Sisters of Mercy.
Alas, we no longer have any Sisters of Mercy teaching in our school, but the Mercy Cross, displayed in the foyer of the building, epitomises the legacy of Catherine McAuley and all her followers.
Two videos about her life and work are available for viewing below.