St Mary’s Convent Primary School is a Primary School situated in the heart of Trim. It is a Catholic School with a Catholic ethos, but where children of other denominations are whole heartedly welcomed and their beliefs respected.  St Mary’s is a mixed Primary School from Junior Infants to First Class and girls from Second to Sixth Class.  The school was first opened in 1868 by the Sisters of Mercy, with 30 children in what is now St. Patrick’s Hall. The building and opening of a new primary school took place in 1924. The Sisters and the people of Trim generously furnished one third of the cost, which amounted to £3,500. The old building, which remains part of Bunscoil Mhuire accommodated 300 children.

Over the years, extensions including an Assembly Hall were added. Due to the demand of ever increasing numbers, a new building was sanctioned. Work proceedings on the present Primary School were completed in 1978. a major refurbishment(€1.5 million) of the new school started in summer of 2001 and was completed in summer 2002.  At the end of June 2010 pupils were moved back across the road into the new major extension consisting of new classrooms, resource rooms, a library, state of the art computer room and a school hall complete with seating for 300. Enrolments continued to increase after 2010, resulting in a further extension to the school building in 2013. The extension comprised four additional rooms, including two mainstream classrooms. In 2018, following extensive fundraising, our ‘Páirc na Trócaire’ (Multi-use Games Area) was officially blessed and opened by Fr Seán Henry (the school chaplain at the time) and Sr Immaculata (representing the Mercy Order in Trim).

At present, there are over 600 children in our school. The seeds that were sown by the Sisters of Mercy have produced a quality education which has endured to the present day.