St Mary’s Parents’ Association is a well-established group/community at the St Mary’s Convent Primary School. The association is a representation of parents/guardians of children attending the school and acts as a liaison between the school and the parents. The main aim of the association is to support pupils and staff. The association can also facilitate parents/guardians in bringing matters of interest and of concern to the principal and the staff.
A new association is formed/renewed annually at the AGM and informal meetings usually take place once a month. Members of the association maintain regular contact with Mr Ó Coigligh and the work undertaken is for the benefit of all the children in the school. The association is affiliated with the National Parents’ Council for Primary Schools in Ireland.
Anyone wishing to make contact with the membership of St Mary’s Parents’ Association can do so by liaising with Rebecca/Helen in the school office or via the messenger link on the association’s Facebook page. ALL parents/guardians are cordially invited to become involved in the association.
The association is involved in many annual activities including:
– Administration of Pupil Personal Insurance Scheme
– Personalised Christmas Cards
– Light refreshments for First Communions, Graduations, Open Evenings, Open Days and Sports Day
– Book Rental Scheme
– Fundraising activities such as bun sales, theme days and skipathons
– Meitheal Volunteer Group: helping teachers update art work, scrap books and copies
– Actively involved on the numerous committees within the school: Digital School, Be Active, Global Citizenship, Healthy Eating and Gaelbhratach
Over the years, the funds raised by the Parents’ Association have been used to purchase new books for the school library, white boards, visualisers, sports equipment, music equipment, android tablets, exterior protectors for the tablets and a chargeable storage trolley for the tablets. In 2016, the Parents’ Association contributed €6,500 towards the school fundraising efforts for the ‘Multi-use Games Area’.
Annual Activities for the Parents’ Association
- September – Pupil Insurance Administration
- September – PA Meeting
- October – AGM
- October – Christmas Card Template Issued
- October – Halloween Bun Sale/Fancy Dress
- November – Christmas Card Sample Cards and Order forms sent home
- November – PA Meeting
- December – Christmas Card orders given out to children
- January – Open Day refreshments
- January – PA Meeting
- February – Pink/Red Day
- February – Coffee Morning
- February – Skipathon
- March – PA Meeting
- April – Bun Sale
- April – PA Meeting
- May – First Holy Communion Refreshments
- May/June – Sports Day
- June – 1st Class Graduation
- June – 6th Class Graduation
Specific dates for the above events are issued in the weekly Imlitir (Newsletter) and on the Parents’ Association Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/stmarysparentsassoc/
Here are a few photos of the Parent’s Association at work on First Communion Day!